Adoption means that you accept a child from his or her parents because they can not take care of it. Adopting a child is not about one day of ice, this is a long procedure. A adopt newborn baby is quite difficult, if not impossible. Adopting a newborn baby is not easy and is not offered so quickly for adoption. You should also keep in mind that no child is wanted for you, but parents for a child. It is the older children who need a loving family and they should therefore be given priority. Read more about adopting a child or newborn baby here.
Conditions for adoption
Whether you want to adopt a newborn baby or a baby: there are clear conditions for everyone before you are eligible to adopt anyway.
A number of conditions are laid down in the law and therefore apply to everyone. Other conditions have been drawn up by intermediaries (who 'arrange' the adoption). Some countries where the child comes from also have certain requirements. A number of conditions that apply in the Netherlands to adopt a child or newborn baby abroad:
- At the time of registration you are not older than 41 years.
- Parents between the ages of 42 and 45 are only eligible for adoption of a child older than 2 years (via IBO research). They must also be particularly suitable to take good care of the baby.
- If you adopt together you must be together for at least 3 years.
- The adoption must be in the best interest of the child.
- The legal parents have no objection to the adoption.
- The oldest parent may not be more than 40 years older than the child, provided that it concerns a child older than 2 years or a child with a disability.
Adoption Netherlands procedure
If you would like to adopt a child or newborn baby from the Netherlands, then you should not consider your chances high. Nowadays, very few Dutch children are offered for adoption. What does happen is that a stepparent adopts the child of his or her partner.
If you want to adopt a child from the Netherlands then these are the conditions:
- Adoption is in the interest of the child.
- The child can no longer expect anything from the biological parents.
- The grandparents of the child are unable to receive him or her.
- The adoptive parents must be at least 18 years older than the child.
- The adoptive parents must be together for at least 3 years.
- If you want to adopt your stepchild, you must have already cared for the child for at least 1 year.
Adopt a child from abroad
As mentioned earlier, there is a proper procedure concerning the adoption of a child. If you want to adopt a newborn baby, it will become very difficult. If you abandon this need to adopt a newborn child, you have more options and you can really help children.
Recently there was a poignant documentary about baby farms abroad, always paying close attention when adopting a child from abroad!
The procedure for adoption from abroad is as follows:
- You submit an application for adoption with the Adoption Facilities Foundation.
- You will see if you meet the aforementioned conditions.
- The parents receive various compulsory information and information meetings.
- The Child Protection Board is conducting research to assess your family situation. They then advise the Minister of Justice about giving a principle permission.
- If a principle permission is granted, permission is given to start the mediation phase. A principle consent is valid for 4 years.
- The mediation phase starts. In the Netherlands there are 6 organizations that conduct the mediation between the Netherlands and abroad for adoption. The mediation is then carried out by a Dutch license holder. You can also contact foreign adoption agencies yourself. The permit holder will then only check your steps.
- Is there a match between the adoptive parents, the child and the biological parents? Then the adoptive parents will visit a child in his or her country.
- When you adopt, there is still something to be arranged in the Netherlands. Such as registering the child with the municipality and a number of legal acts.
Duration of procedure to adopt a child or newborn baby
If you register yourself to adopt a child, you can count on a lead time of 2 to 5 years. The time from registration to the principle consent can take more than 2 years. The waiting time between registration and attending the information meetings is sometimes a year. After this, another investigation must be carried out by the Child Protection Board. There may also be waiting times for this.
When you have the principle permission, you are still far from it. Often there is a waiting time with the permit holders. If you want to adopt a newborn baby or a young child, your waiting time will be longer than if you adopt an older child or a child with special needs. On average it takes 4 years.
Child adopting the Netherlands costs
Hold on, because the costs of adopting a newborn baby or a slightly older child can amount to € 40,000. But of course it can also be cheaper. According to the Foundation Adoption Facilities you can take into account the following costs:
- Compulsory information: € 1595, -
- Mediation costs vary between € 12,000 to more than € 35,000. These costs include: care costs of the child, medical examinations and treatments, costs of the lawyer and interpreter and any travel and accommodation costs of the child, adoptive parents and supervisors.Naturally, the mediation and office costs also belong here.
- Residence permit in the Netherlands for the adopted child: € 950, -
- If necessary: costs of converting an adoption to Dutch law: € 600, - to € 1000, -
More information and stories about adoption can be found here.