When you become a mother for the first time, you have to have one flight bag you might be a bit weird. Yet it is important that you have it ready on time. A flight bag, also known under the names of flight case, delivery bag or hospital bag, is a bag that you already have ready in case the delivery begins and you have to go to the hospital. At that moment you really do not want to collect your stuff.
Flight bag? And what if I want to give birth at home?
Even if you are planning to give birth at home, it is wise to have a flight bag ready. It may happen that you unexpectedly still have to go to the hospital. It is then very nice that you no longer have to think about what you have to take with you and your child. You just have to take the flight bag and you're ready to go. In a flight bag or flight case are not only things you need in case you have to stay in the hospital, but also articles that are useful for during and after the birth.
When to put flight case ready?
You can prepare the bag if you are about 34 weeks pregnant. Make sure the flight bag is packaged when you are 37 weeks pregnant.
Which things should you bring for yourself in the flight bag?
Take everything that makes you feel comfortable, but the list below is a useful starting point:
- Toiletry bag with all necessities, such as a toothbrush and eyeglass
- Any medicines
- Hair elastic and hairbrush
- Lip balm, because you can get dry lips from the puffing
- Possibly a (spare) pair of glasses
- A comfortable, wide shirt to give birth
- Thick socks, because many women get cold feet while giving birth
- Comfortable underwear with space for maternity bandage
- Slippers or slippers
- Feeding bra in two sizes larger than your normal cup size
- Extra set of clothes to go home
- Bottle of water
- Grape sugar or small snacks
- Things for fun while waiting: a book, your phone and charger, music
- Insurance papers
- List of important phone numbers that are not in your phone
Which items do you bring for the baby to the hospital?
It is useful to take clothes in two different sizes for your baby, so that something always fits. Take in any case:
- Car seat
Tip: a bag for your partner
For your partner, delivery is also very exciting. That is when the delivery starts probably not well able to think what should go to the hospital. You can therefore prepare an extra bag containing the most important papers and documents, a camera or video camera, extra batteries, mobile phone and charger, parking fees and some things to distract, such as a book or magazine. A delivery can take a long time and your partner may not be everywhere.
Baby coming? At Zozwanger you will find a lot of information about the delivery and babies
Do you already have everything for the baby after delivery, read more here!
Flight case tips
Some of our readers sent the following flight case tips:
- Put a note on the baby clothes for the nurse / your partner what your baby needs after birth, on day 2 etc.
- Telephone number of the printer (for the tickets)
- Passports and marriage certificate for the declaration
- List of who needs to be called
So you are completely prepared for an unexpected departure to the hospital. That is another concern less. If you have more tips for what is certainly not missing in the flight bag or flight case, let us know and we will complete the list.