Cake smash, do you want to give your little baby a unique experience and make a crazy photo for the invitation of the very first birthday party? Then organize one cake smash photo shoot! In this blog you can read what a cake smash photoshoot is, what the prices are of cake smash photographers and how you can do one yourself. We even have a super easy recipe for you to make your own smash cake!
What is a cake smash?
A cake smash is a photo shoot with your baby where your baby can play with a cake. All you need is your baby and a tasty cake where your baby can dig in with your hands. In America it has been very popular for a while and now also in the Netherlands. Usually the photo shoot is done with babies who are almost 1 year old or older. Then the gnawing pictures are used for the invitation of the first birthday party. The result: incredibly fun and spontaneous photos of your little one.
You can organize a cake smash photo shoot yourself, but if you really want good photos (provided you are a talented photographer of course) and do not want to sit with the mess then it is useful to have the shoot take place at a photographer.
Cake smash prices at the photographer
As a cake smash photo shoot is becoming increasingly popular, there are more and more photographers who offer this. There is a good chance that a cake smash photographer is in your neighborhood. The prices are from 145 euros. The advantage is that you do not have a mess, you do not have to arrange a cake, the photos are of good quality and you do not have to think about the location. Some tips for planning a cake smash photo shoot:
- Be on time! Especially if you want to use the photo for the invitation, it is good to plan an appointment at least 1.5 to 2 months before your little one's birthday.
- Discuss well with the photographer who cares for the cake and what you can best attract your baby.
- Do not put on your nicest outfit on the day of the cake, it will be dirty too!
Organize a cake smash photo shoot yourself
Do not want to spend too much money for a cake smash. Which can! All you have to do is organize it yourself! Often the photos are used on the invitation of the first birthday party. So make sure you do the photo shoot a few weeks before the birthday. Then you still have enough time to make nice invitations with it. Below some tips to organize a cake smash photo shoot yourself.
- Think about the location, especially given the fact that it can become a mess. Perhaps that is the most useful outside. And otherwise at home in a place that you easily get clean again.
- Provide a good camera.
- You can keep the set quiet by hanging a white sheet with, for example, some flags. Need more inspiration? Then take a look at some pictures of other cakes smashes on instagram for example.
- The cake: choose light colors and the cake does not have to be a complete work of art. A big cupcake is completely fine. Choose a cream topping and no firm fondant so your baby can grab it. Go for colors other than red or brown (like chocolate cake) because those colors look too much like poo and blood and that does not look so nice.
- Clothing: remember that your baby is going to get dirty. A brand new outfit of 100 euros is probably not so convenient. Bright and busy clothing is not recommended because it can be very distracting. So keep it quiet and think of the total picture.
- Start photo shoot: Start with some nice pictures of your baby (still clean) and later on add the cake.
- Make sure the cake is at room temperature so that it is not too cold for the hands.
- Make sure you take a nice photo quickly, because your child will probably soon be done with the cake and the entire photo shoot.
- Does your baby show no interest in the cake? Stimulate your baby by taking a finger off the cream and putting it in the mouth. Then your baby will want more soon!
- Try to have a nice series at the end: photo of the cake, of your beautiful child, photo of the room (your 'set' or 'decor'), photo of your child with cake, detailed pictures of the hands, final photo.
Cake making smash cake
This is a super easy recipe for 1 cake smash tart or large cupcake.
- 450 gr granulated sugar (fine)
- 225 gr butter (unsalted and at room temperature)
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 450 gr of flour
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 360 ml of whole milk
Preparation of the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Take 2 round baking trays / jars of 20 cm diameter and grease them well. Do not forget the edges! You can grease with butter or baking spray. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix gently until a creamy mass. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Put the flour and baking powder together in a container and mix it together. Then add it little by little to the rest. Add the milk and mix at medium speed.
- Pour the batter into the baking molds and put them next to each other if possible. Can not, then bake 1 for 1. The cake should be in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. The cake is cooked when the skewer comes out dry.
For frosting (cream topping)
- 125 gr butter (unsalted, at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 gr powder sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
Preparation of the frosting
Mix the butter until it is light. Add the vanilla and then the powdered sugar in steps. Keep mixing at low speed. Finally add the milk and mix until the whole is fluffy.Then color the frosting in a desired color. You can also leave a part white and the other half pink or blue.
Make the smash cake
Let the cake from the oven cool down first. Spread a layer of frosting on one cake. Put the other on it. If you want a big cupcake, you can cut the top cake around. Then decorate the cake with the remaining frosting. The best is with colored swirls (of those tufts). Of course you can also add colored sprinkles, flags and other decorations. Keep in mind the safety of your baby during the cake smash!
And after the cakesmash photo shoot you can of course combine all the photos into a baby photo book, to look back to often later.