Toddlers are no longer babies, he can bite well now and his intestines digest crazier food. Your toddler can therefore eat more varied. If you take a bit of consideration with him (not too greasy, not too salty and not too much spice) he can just eat with the pot.
A baby grows a lot in the first year. It grows from three to seven kilos and averages about 25 centimeters. Then he grows much less quickly. In his second year he only grows an average of eight centimeters and gains about two kilos in weight. That is why a toddler can get a little less need for food. A child who grows less also needs less food (energy).
The need saves from child to child and age, gender and mobility play a major role in this. If he eats a little less, you do not have to worry immediately. When your child grows well and is active, everything is normal. The appetite of a child is determined by its growth and activity. That is why a child may eat more one day than another day.
Guidelines for a healthy menu for your toddler
The average guidelines for and healthy menu for your toddler are:
- bread 1 - 3 slices a day
- fruit 1 - 2 servings
- potatoes (1 or 2), rice or pasta
- vegetable 1 -2 serving spoons
- half a liter of milk products
- 5 grams of margarine (on bread) and 15 grams for the preparation
- 2 - 3 cups of milk
- 50-75 grams of meat, fish or egg
- half slice of cheese
- half slice of meat products
- Drink 1 liter
Healthy food provides all the nutrients needed for growth and normal development. Healthy food also prevents affluent illness, such as obesity, tooth decay, cardiovascular diseases, etc. Divide the diet as much as possible over 3 main meals. Of course, your child may occasionally have a snack (maximum 3), but also try to keep it healthy. Fruit, yoghurt, vegetables, etc. Be moderate with fat, but keep in mind that children up to 4 years of age need more fat than adults.
Do you and your toddler still want to continue breastfeeding? The composition is still tuned to the age of your child and is full of antibodies that provides extra resistance. Even if your toddler drinks a few sips a day, that is valuable.
No food contains everything your toddler needs. Vary therefore as much as possible to ensure that your toddler gets all the nutrients. In addition, the variation ensures that your toddler learns and appreciates all kinds of flavors. Did you know that your toddler should try something at least 5 times to get used to something? It can therefore take a while before he recognizes a certain taste and likes to find it. Try to give your toddler at least 75 grams of vegetables per day.
Let toddlers drink from a cup as quickly as possible: at least with nine months. A feeding bottle or spout prevents the chewing and speech development and causes tooth decay in the hand (source: Nutrition Center). Do not give too much light soft drinks with cyclamate or sweets with polyols, such as sorbitol, in connection with the safe amount of these sweeteners.
Eating problems can have various causes. In spite of your concerns about his health, try to adopt an attitude of indifference about your toddler's food. That works very quickly and you are not busy all day. If you look at the guidelines what to eat, it is not that much and it turns out that he often gets the desired amount. You can also give your toddler extra vitamin if you are worried if something goes wrong. Try to make the atmosphere at the table cozy, without emphasizing the food. Let your toddler do as much as possible yourself. And make sure that the meal does not last too long.
Irregular eating behavior
Irregular eating behavior is completely normal for your toddler. A toddler takes care of himself, however bizarre his eating pattern may seem, that he gets a balanced diet. One day he can eat a lot of breakfast, but he eats little at lunch and dinner. But the next day this can be the evening meal or lunch. Sometimes he eats very well at all meals, and sometimes he eats a pittance all day long.
Possible causes for eating problems
There may be different causes for your toddler's eating behavior. In addition to the fact that it is quite normal for your toddler to show a whimsical diet, there may also be other influences that he (slightly) eats less.
- Suffer from teething and / or choose from. Your toddler would like to drink.
- Too tired, too angry or too tense to eat.
- He is too busy to eat, there is so much to experience.
- Your toddler develops his own taste and he suddenly can not find something nice anymore.
- Little food can be a harbinger of a disease.
- Your toddler is stubborn and is in his 'no phase'.
- Your toddler can also be a moderate eater.
- Because of too many snacks your toddler is not hungry anymore (even soft drinks with sugar limit the appetite).
- They want to experiment with their food (how does it feel to squeeze in?).
Your toddler will probably learn to eat independently with a spoon first. Of course, the first time this is not quite right and there will be more food flying around than in his mouth. To ensure that he still receives sufficient nutrition, you can keep two plates on hand, so that you can give him a bite in between.
Do not be too strict against tampering, just keep a wet cloth handy.
Vitamins and minerals for toddlers and preschoolers
The word vitamin is derived from 'vital'. This means 'necessary for life'. We get vitamins mainly through our food. If we get insufficient vitamins due to poor nutrition or poor absorption of nutrients in the intestines, certain symptoms can occur. The body can make a number of vitamins itself, but only in small quantities so that supplementation from food is necessary. The only vitamin that is produced in sufficient amounts by the body itself is vitamin K.
Obesity and children: no combination!
Obesity, the medical name for having too much body fat, seemed to be something of a small group of adults. You could choose to accept it, as you accept that someone has red hair or glasses. Nowadays, however, obesity is spreading more and more and it is even affecting an increasing part of our children. Acceptance is no longer an option, the time to read us about the problem and to actively do something about it has now really come!
Often against your toddler? Do the sandwiches fly around your ears or do you have to scrape the cauliflower from the wallpaper?
- Outdoor air makes you hungry!
- Always try to eat at the same time. Seeing, eating.
- In addition, it is also very nice to create a fixed moment of being together.
- Involve your toddler in the preparation of the meal. This increases his involvement.
- Let your toddler help with the table.
- You can let your toddler choose between two healthy menus.
- Give yourself the good example to empty your plate.
- If your toddler wants to try it for yourself, let it go. Of course it becomes a messy thing for the first time, but he has to learn it once. Just keep a wet cloth close at hand.
- Stay patient and friendly.
- Care during the meal for as little distraction as possible.
- Do not hold on to thinking that he should eat his plate completely empty. A few bites less, is not it a drama?
- Eat as much as possible at fixed times and try to spend all meals at the table as much as possible.
- If your toddler is too tired, he will not be very hungry. Then do not insist.
- Try to make something cozy from the meal so that your toddler feels at ease.
- Stop when your toddler indicates that it is enough.
- Drinking too much during meals, inhibits appetite.
- Sing a song with your toddler with the snacks and involve your toddler here too.
Your toddler can eat with the pot, so he can also go to a restaurant. Try to keep in mind with him by choosing a restaurant where your toddler can eat something he likes. Also take into account the time, if your toddler is too tired or too hungry, the restaurant visit can end in a big fiasco. Check in advance if there is a highchair (or alternative) available. Also take something to play with for your toddler, or ask for any play corners. Some restaurants are decorated for children, but if this is not the case, you better bring something with which your toddler can have fun. Sitting still and doing nothing is after all not his strength.
Do not assume that you can dine with a multi-course dinner. Even if the dinner is short, it is difficult for your toddler to sit still and behave properly. The longer the meal lasts, the greater the chance that things go wrong.