First aid in children - Poisoning

I am working in the living room, Rocco is in our open kitchen. He is quiet. Too quiet for my taste. In the first instance, I reject the idea that he is dealing with something dangerous. After all, I have security locks on the cabinet doors. He should not be able to access anything. My mother alarm nevertheless rings and I decide to watch.

And there's Mr. ... with the bottle of rinse aid in his hands. No idea if he took a sip, but I can see him sitting in the middle of a pool of rinse aid. I do not doubt for a second, pick it up and call the first aid. They refer me to the poison line.

Alarm buttons

Despite the child locks on the cupboard doors, he had the chance to squeeze his little arm through the opening and grab the bottle. Fortunately, it was not very bad, I just had to make sure that - if he had already received it - it would not foam in his belly. So he had to keep quiet and eat some greasy things, so that a layer of fat would develop in his stomach which would stop any foaming.

This incident has a good ending, but it has made me even more vigilant. Because you can not blindly trust children's locks! With small children you must always be vigilant. And of course it could have been worse ... there are poisonous substances in every household that can really do a lot of harm.

Frequent

Poisoning is most common in children between the ages of 2 and 5 years. They are enterprising and want to discover the world. There is no danger yet for them. Everything goes by mouth, especially things that look like sweets (medicine) or lemonade (cleaning products).
Approximately 2,000 children are admitted to hospitals per year with poisoning. No matter how good you pay attention, it can always go wrong. Important to respond adequately at such a time.

How do you recognize a poisoning?

It is of course to which substances your child has swallowed. We can make the following distribution:

Medications, tobacco, plants, berries or alcohol

Your child suddenly becomes ill and can even become unconscious.

Cleaning products

Your child may have problems with breathing (suffocation), severe pain, blistering on lips and / or in his mouth (sometimes until bleeding) and he may have a red skin.

Detergents

This looks a bit like the symptoms of other cleaning products, but he can also have pain in his stomach (stomach and intestines).

What should you do?

Always try to remain calm. Your child has nothing to do when you panic around. If your child is still with knowledge, talk to him and try to find out what he has eaten or drunk.
Look in the package how much you think you miss.

Please contact your doctor, hospital or go to the nearest Emergency Hospital for a hospital. You can always call the poison line (030-274 88 88) or 112.

Info on the phone

When you call, chances are that the following questions will be asked:

- How old is your child?
- How heavy is he?
- What did he take? (product name)
- How much did he swallow?
- How long ago did he swallow it?
- What symptoms are there?

To the first aid

If you have to go to the first aid, take the packaging of the product with you and if it succeeds, also a remnant of the vomit.

Prevention is better

Of course it is better to prevent your child from swallowing something wrong, but unnoticed you have more hazardous substances at home than you think. Think for example of medicines, cleaning products, tobacco or alcohol. There are even super toxic houseplants! Very normal products that can look very innocent but can be dangerous for your little one.

Video: First Aid Treatment for Poisoning

Leave Your Comment